Monday, June 27, 2016

Dry Fly Distilling Port Finish Wheat Whiskey



I was looking for something fun to taste from my shelves and found a bottle of Dry Fly Distilling Port Finish Wheat Whiskey . I've had this bottle since some time last year and when I first cracked it I was a little underwhelmed. It seemed tight, a bit tannic and had an edge of bitterness. I could have come back to it at any time, but I think it needed a moment to breathe and open up a bit.

Dry Fly touts themselves as 'Washington's First Distillery' and are proponents of the farm to bottle movement.  They contract with farmers in eastern Washington to source their grains, and make a wide variety of products from vodka and gin to whiskey and bourbon.  One of their products is even a three year aged triticale whiskey.

This Port Finish Wheat Whiskey was tasted neat in a glencairn.


It's fairly light and golden in color.

The nose is decently expressive with plum and raspberry fruit, light grain, a technical cleanness and brightness.

The palate is sweet, bright and fresh, with cake icing, powdered sugar and a light spice.

The finish is medium in length, clean, sweet sugar cookie and frosting, and some plum and plum skin.


I'm really happy with this whiskey though it wasn't what I was expecting. I've had other Port or alternative finish whiskies and was expecting deeper flavors or dried fruit, baking spices and a richer mouthfeel. What I got was something light and fresh, with more sugary notes (not even veering toward caramel) with fresh fruit tones.

I do recommend this whiskey. It's the only Dry Fly whiskey I have had a chance to try and usually runs around $30 for a 375ml bottle. It's composed of their two year Washington wheat whiskey that is further aged at least six months in their neighbor's (Townshend Cellars) used huckleberry port casks.

I couldn't find out what the mash bill is, whether it is 100% wheat or has other grains mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment