Friday, July 1, 2016

Scuppernong (or Lewis and Co Orange Blossom Tea Jelly) Sour


I recently read the book Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons and, on his incredibly enthusiastic recommendation, bought a bottle of Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters. They age their bitters in barrel "until maturity is achieved."  I found a bottle of the 2014 "vintage" on a local store's shelf.  I was looking for something to use these incredibly deep and complex flavorful bitters in when I came across his recipe for a Scuppernong Sour.

This was my first cocktail using raw egg whites.  I don't know why I hadn't tried it before.  There's just an ingrown aversion to using raw or under cooked poultry products that is really drummed into you in America.

Boy am I sad I waited! This drink had such a beautiful, rich mouth feel and a brightness from the citrus and jelly. It's the kind of cocktail that is tough to sip because you just want to down the entire icy cold, smooth and citrusy thing in one drink.

Scuppernong is a variety of Muscadine grape native to the south eastern United States.  I found a suitable substitute in my pantry.


2 T Lewis and Co Orange Blossom Tea Jelly
2 oz Old Forester 100 Proof Bourbon
2 Dashes Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
1 Egg White

Shake the cocktail dry (without ice) to incorporate everything and then add ice and shake until chilled. Double strain through a fine mesh into a coup glass and enjoy.


This was an incredible, eye-opening cocktail that was my introduction to egg white including mixed drinks. Find an appropriate jelly and give it a try yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment